Remote Working, Day 1

Okay, actually, I've been working remotely for a few more days. But, today is the first day that I felt immensely disconnected from the entire world. No joke.

I'm currently in the Chapel Hill area with my husband of a month and a half. He's here for med school, and I'm here because I can be. I definitely don't mean to sound pretentious about it, but with my position being remote, I have that flexibility. However, it's a new place for me. No friends, no family, hardly any acquaintances, just my husband and me. While it can definitely get lonely as I list those categories, it hasn't been that bad...at least not until today.

Today was the first day that I didn't have any work calls, conference calls, and, believe it or not, one email (that did not need a response). I've never felt the need to interact with other humans as I did today. Don't get me wrong; I am a complete introvert (INFJ for the win!), but today was not about enjoying being alone; today, I felt lonely.

Why? I've gone from working in an office with most of the same colleagues for 3.5 years to working on a different team remotely. I'm in this weird place where I'm not sure how much I should be immersing myself in the community -- though from today I feel like I need to go in 100% -- since I travel frequently, and Chapel Hill isn't really going to be my home base. I'll probably not come back for a long time after December 2018.

I don't have an answer as to what I'll be deciding. It'll take some more ruminating and talking to my husband. But, for now, I know I'm looking at coworking spaces. Tomorrow, I will absolutely work at a coffee shop, and my friends can expect to receive more texts from me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some pictures

My latest happenings

Always too much to say